!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Rolling back of Covid related policy relaxation could impact banks: RBI
- The performance of Indian banking improved in the fiscal year 2020 when they reported a profit on an aggregate basis after two years of losses, the RBI said in its yearly assessment report
- It said the banking system’s bad loans fell and the capital buffer improved, but they need to be vigilant about competition from nimbler tech rivals
Chandigarh: Hotel, restaurant owners directed to adhere to guidelines
In view of New Year’s eve, Deputy Commissioner directed hotel and restaurant owners to scrupulously adhere to the COVID-19 guidelines issued by the Union govt, and operate with half their capacity or keeping the gathering limited to 200, whichever is less, respectively.
Scientists quell concerns on new COVID-19 variant
Standard defense mechanisms such as masks, sanitisation and physical distancing will work to contain the coronavirus strain detected in six people who came from the UK, scientists said on Tuesday, giving assurance that the mutant is not clinically more severe and there is no need to worry.
UK woman returnee to AP tests positive for contagious variant of COVID-19
- A 47-year-old woman, who returned to Rajamahendravaram in Andhra Pradesh on December 23, was found to have contracted the new mutated strain of coronavirus but the state health department maintained that there was no spread of the fresh strain in AP
- Of the 12 UK-returned passengers who tested positive for COVID-19, only the woman had the new strain, state Health Commissioner Katamaneni Bhaskar said, citing a report of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in Hyderabad
UK: Hospitals being overwhelmed by new Covid peak
The UK is “back in the eye of the storm”, the head of the NHS said on Tuesday as the country’s health chiefs warned that hospitals were being overwhelmed by a surge in the COVID-19 pandemic, largely driven by a new highly transmissible variant of coronavirus, which has seen clinic admissions surpass the first peak.
Visitors to witness Republic Day parade to be curtailed: Sources
Due to COVID-19, the number of visitors to witness the Republic Day parade 2021 would be curtailed as seating arrangements are being made keeping in mind social distancing norms. Many other proposals are under consideration at the moment to ensure safety, according to government sources.
Five states and UTs account for 60% of total active cases
Five states and UTs that account for 60 per cent of total active COVID cases are Maharashtra, Kerala, West Bengal, UP, Chhattisgarh, as per the Health ministry.
Uttar Pradesh Covid-19 cases
Uttar Pradesh reported 1,044 new COVID-19 cases, 1,369 discharges and 18 deaths in the last 24 hours.
Total active cases: 14,344
Total Discharges: 5,61,257
Death toll: 8,340
AstraZeneca vaccine not ready for quick European approval
The European Medicines Authority (EMA) will most likely not be able to approve the COVID-19 vaccine developed by drug maker AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford in January, the watchdog’s Deputy Executive Director Noel Wathion said.
The major population is still susceptible to COVID-19 infection in this cold weather. UK variant has travelled to several other countries and also to India, this variant may have its own run and we have to be very careful.
– Dr VK Paul, Member (Health), Niti Aayog
It’s important that we do not put too much immune pressure on virus. We’ve to maintain judicious use of therapies which are going to benefit.
– ICMR DG
An important development is the establishment of INSACOG, which is a consortium of 10 govt labs across the country to do genome sequencing of COVID19 as well as any variant of that virus. These labs belong to ICMR, BioTech India, CSIR & Health Ministry.
– Union Health Secretary
Dry run for Covid-19 vaccination conducted successfully
- The two-day dry run for the Covid-19 vaccination in Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab and Gujarat has been successfully conducted, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said on Tuesday
- The end-to-end dry run was conducted in Krishna district in Andhra Pradesh, Rajkot and Gandhinagar districts in Gujarat, Ludhiana and Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar in Punjab and Sonitpur and Nalbari districts in Assam on December 28 and 29
Vaccines will work against the variants detected in UK and South Africa. There is no evidence that current vaccines will fail to protect against these COVID19 variants.
– Prof K. Vijay Raghavan, PSA to the Government of India
If we analyze COVID19 cases on basis of gender, 63% of total cases were reported in males & 37% cases in females. Age-wise, 8% cases reported below age of 17 yrs, 13% in 18-25 yrs age group, 39% in 26-44 yrs group,26% in 45-60 yrs group & 14% above 60 yrs.
– Union Health Secretary
Active cases in the country are less than 2.7 lakhs and are declining. Positivity rate in the country during the last week stood at only 2.25%.
– Union Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan
Punjab’s vaccine dry run
Ludhiana: Second day of dry run for #COVID vaccine rollout concluded. "Dry run conducted at 7 centres to train our… https://t.co/H4DrRgeYN8
— ANI (@ANI) 1609237139000
All the international passengers who have arrived in India during last 14 days (from 9th Dec to 22nd Dec, 2020), if symptomatic and tested positive will be subjected to genome sequencing, in the view of new COVID strain in the United Kingdom.
– Union Health Ministry
Study says Britain must vaccinate two million a week to prevent a third COVID-19 wave
- Britain must vaccinate two million people a week to avoid a third wave of the coronavirus outbreak, a study by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) has concluded
- The UK has had more than 71,000 deaths from the coronavirus and over 2.3 million cases of COVID-19 infections as of late Monday, according to a Reuters tally
The dry run for Covid-19 vaccination successfully conducted in Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, and Gujarat on 28th and 29th December 2020: Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
Odisha reports 263 new COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths
18 UK returnees to Kerala test positive
Ladakh reports 5 new COVID-19 cases
So far, from among all UK returnees in the past few days, 30 have tested positive for Covid-19. There’s nobody detected so far with the new strain
– Maharashtra Surveillance Officer, Epidemiology Department (ED) Dr. Pradip Awate
Gujarat conducts dummy Covid vaccination
- The two-day end-to-end dry run was being carried out to test the laid out mechanisms for COVID-19 vaccination and to provide insights into any gaps to be addressed before the commencement of the actual vaccination drive.
- Gujarat is one of the four states chosen by the Central government to conduct the mock COVID-19 vaccination drive.
- Health workers are among the first ‘beneficiaries’ identified for the mock vaccination drive being conducted at four health centres in Gandhinagar city.
Brazil’s Covid-19 cases top 7.5 million
Telangana reports 395 new COVID-19 cases
Rakul Preet Singh tests negative for coronavirus
Five new positive cases reported in Union Territory of Ladakh; 16 patients cured and discharged. Active cases down to 198; 177 in Leh district and 21 in Kargil district: UT Administration
Belarus becomes the first country in the world after Russia to start vaccination of its people against COVID-19 with Sputnik V vaccine: Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF)
In Tamil Nadu, almost 2,018 people had come from the United Kingdom, we have tested 1,500 for coronavirus and roughly 17 people tested positive and 16 from their contacts
– Health Secretary of Tamil Nadu J Radhakrishnan
Union Minister of State for Health Ashwini Kumar Choubey has said that he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is under home isolation.
China kicks off emergency COVID-19 vaccination in Wuhan
- The vaccination, available at 48 designated clinics in 15 districts, began on December 24, targeting certain groups of people aged between 18 and 59 years
- Those receiving the vaccine need to take two shots with an interval of four weeks, as per Xinhua news agency
Former HP chief minister Shanta Kumar’s wife dies of COVID-19
- Shanta Kumar’s wife, Santosh Shailza was 75.
- Shailza was undergoing treatment at Dr Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College, Tanda, in Kangra district of the state.
- She was admitted to the facility after testing positive for COVID-19 a few days ago.
From November 25 to December 23 midnight, about 33,000 passengers disembarked at various Indian airports from the UK. All these passengers are being tracked and subjected by states and UTs to RT-PCR tests: Union Health Ministry
Arunachal’s COVID-19 tally mounts to 16,696 with seven fresh cases
Philippines expands travel ban to limit spread of coronavirus variant
Argentina to begin rollout of Russian COVID-19 vaccine
Less than 16,500 daily new cases (16,432) were added to the national tally in the last 24 hours after 187 days. The daily new cases were 16,922 on 25th June 2020: Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
11 booked for violating COVID-19 guidelines at wedding of BJP leader’s nephew in Gujarat
Dry run of COVID vaccination is underway in Punjab
Punjab: Dry run of COVID vaccination is underway at 5 centres in Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar for 2nd day "At each s… https://t.co/bnEEtZF9Ol
— ANI (@ANI) 1609218967000
The daily new coronavirus infections in India dipped below 20,000 : Govt
Active COVID-19 cases in India stand at 2,68,581 while 98,07,569 people have recovered from the disease: Union Health Ministry
All the 6 UK returnees who found positive with new Covid strain have been kept in single room isolation: Health Ministry
Samples of 3 UK returnees have been tested & found positive for new UK strain in NIMHANS, Bengaluru, two in Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad & one in National Institute of Virology, Pune: Health Ministry
Telugu film industry superstar Ram Charan tested positive for coronavirus
Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 80.86 million, death toll at 1,768,392: Reuters
A total of 6 UK returnees have been found to be positive with the new U.K variant genome: Health Ministry
Argentina reports 7,216 new COVID-19 cases
Former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Shanta Kumar’s wife, Santosh Shailza, succumbed to COVID-19 in the early hours of Tuesday, Health Minister Rajiv Saizal said.
The overall number of global coronavirus cases has topped 81.2 million, while the deaths have surged to more than 1.77 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University.
Jammu and Kashmir Police distributed COVID kits comprising of mask, pulse oximeter, digital thermometer and sanitiser, among the needy in Uri, yesterday.
Jammu and Kashmir Police distributed #COVID19 kits comprising of mask, pulse oximeter, digital thermometer and sani… https://t.co/IjpUwt1s3O
— ANI (@ANI) 1609200748000
In Gujarat, Covid guidelines flouted
Valsad: More than 100 people gathered at a wedding function of BJP Dharampur Taluka chief's nephew. "COVID-19 guid… https://t.co/1Bagggzw4u
— ANI (@ANI) 1609202131000
China reports 27 new COVID cases vs 21 a day earlier
The US Army announced on Monday that it has started vaccinating service members deployed overseas belonging to the European Command against the novel coronavirus.
More COVID-19 vaccines in pipeline as US rams up effort
- A huge US study of another COVID-19 vaccine candidate got underway as states continue to roll out scarce supplies of the first shots to a nation anxiously awaiting relief from the catastrophic outbreak.
- Public health experts say more options in addition to the two vaccines now being dispensed — one made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, the other by Moderna — are critical to amassing enough shots for the country and the world.
- The candidate made by Novavax Inc is the fifth to reach final-stage testing in the US.
- Some 30,000 volunteers are needed to prove if the shot — a different kind than its Pfizer and Moderna competitors — really works and is safe.