Jaish commander among three militants killed in 2 encounters in Jammu and Kashmir

Jaish commander among three militants killed in 2 encounters in Jammu and Kashmir_militarymen.in

SRINAGAR: A top Jaish-e-Mohammad operative was among three militants killed in two gunfights with security forces in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday, while a woman Special Police Officer (SPO) in south Kashmir announced her resignation on social media after receiving threats from militants.

Adnan of Pakistan, a top Jaish-e-Mohammad commander, was killed in a gunfight triggered after militants hiding in a house fired on police, CRPF and Army men conducting a cordon and search operation in Aripal area of Tral in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district in the morning, a police official said.

“The fire was returned by the troops, triggering an encounter,” he said. A security forces jawan sustained injuries in the encounter, which lasted about three hours, and has been hospitalized.

The house from where the militant was firing on security forces was damaged during the gunfight. The locals alleged that security forces blew up the house by planting an improvised explosive device.

The police official said a huge quantity of arms, ammunition and incriminating material was recovered from the encounter site.

As the encounter started in the area, youths from an adjoining village came out on the roads and attempted to march towards the encounter site to pave the way for militants to escape.

However, they were intercepted by the security forces. As the protesting youth pelted stones, security personnel fired live ammunition and tear gas shells to disperse them.

In the firing, a youth identified as Manzoor Ahmad Dar sustained a bullet injury in the face. He was taken to a nearby hospital, from where he was referred to a Srinagar hospital for specialized treatment.

However, police said the youth was injured in cross-firing.

Meanwhile, defense spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said the Army had foiled an infiltration bid by militants along the Line of Control (LoC) in Tangdhar sector of the border district of Kupwara.

He said the infiltrating militants were signaled to stop. “However, the militants opened fire on the troops. The fire was returned by Army men, and in the ensuing gunfight two militants were killed,” Kalia said.

He said the operation along the LoC was on when reports last came in.

Woman SPO resigns

After the abduction and killing of three policemen in Shopian and militant threats to policemen, a woman Special Police Officer (SPO) announced she was quitting the police job.

The woman SPO, identified as Rafeeqa Akhtar, wife of Ghulam Mohammed Thokar of Bongam, Kulgam, released a video on social media and announced her resignation from the police job.

“I have worked as SPO for 15 years and I am resigning today on my own without any fear,” Rafeeqa said in the video, which has gone viral.

Her resignation comes a day after militants released photos of 14 policemen and officials, including some policewomen, and warned them to resign or face a “head shot”.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.