* The 70th Republic Day parade will have the highest number of women officers participating in the celebrations with Lt. Bhavana Kasturi leading a contingent of 144 male personnel. This is the first time in the history of Indian Army that a woman will lead the Army services corps.
* An all-women contingent of Assam Rifles, India’s oldest paramilitary force, will be participating for the first time. The contingent was opened for women in 2012 and will be competing to win the best marching contingent trophy.
* The weapons which will be showcased for the first time in a Republic day parade are M777 and K-9 Vajra ultra light howitzers along with the Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) missile of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
* Winners of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar children will march in open jeeps and various cultural items will be showcased by school children on theme of Mahatma Gandhi.
* For the first time in the Republic Day parade, An-32 aircraft will be flying using a mix of traditional and biofuel. Using environment-friendly biofuel will help in reducing carbon footprint as well as lessen the import bill.
* Four former Indian National Army (INA) soldiers will participate for the first time in the parade. INA was an armed force formed by Indian nationalist Rash Behari Bose in 1942 in Southeast Asia during World War II
* `Sankhnaad’, a martial tune created for the Indian armed forces, will be played for the first time on the 70th Republic Day parade. Since Independence, the Indian defence forces have been playing ‘martial tune’ created by the Britishers. `Sankhnaad’ is based on Indian classical music.
* After a gap of three years, the railways is all set to showcase its tableau which will showcase the parade’s theme “Mohan se Mahatma” along with featuring yet-to-be-launched bullet train and Train 18.