Syrian army warns residents of Idlib as deadline looms

0
fb-share-icon100
200
fb-share-icon19


Regime ally Moscow and rebel backer Ankara agreed last month to set up a demilitarised area around the northwestern region of Idlib.

Syria’s army on Friday warned residents of the country’s last major rebel bastion to stay away from militants, who have yet to withdraw from a buffer zone ahead of a looming deadline.

Regime ally Moscow and rebel backer Ankara agreed last month to set up a demilitarised area around the northwestern region of Idlib to stave off a major regime offensive on a region that hosts some three million people.

The U-shaped zone aims to avert one of the worst humanitarian crises in Syria’s seven-year war.

But militants, who under the deal must withdraw from 15- to 20-km-wide buffer zone by Monday, have not yet shown any sign of leaving.

Residents in the area received warning messages on their mobile phones from the Syrian army early on Friday, an AFP correspondent said. “Get away from the fighters. Their fate is sealed and near,” one said. “Don’t allow the terrorists to take you as human shields,” said another, addressed to residents of the planned buffer zone.

Idlib’s dominant force – an alliance led by Al Qaeda’s former Syria affiliate – and other militant factions control more than two-thirds of the planned zone.

But the Hayat Tahrir Al Sham (HTS) alliance has not yet officially responded to the deal, and a Britain-based war monitor said on Friday that no militants had left the planned buffer area.

“There has been no withdrawal of any members of the militant factions with their light weapons,” the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said.

A rebel source inside the zone told AFP he had seen no HTS combattants leave. “We have not observed any withdrawal of fighters,” he said.

Other militants in the planned buffer zone include the Turkestan Islamic Party and current Al Qaeda outfit Hurras Al Deen.

Turkey-backed rebels and militants met an initial deadline on Wednesday to remove their heavy weaponry from the buffer strip.

But it is not clear what will happen if the second and final October 15 deadline is not met.

On Friday, Amnesty International called on Russia, Turkey and fellow regime backer Iran to “prevent another humanitarian catastrophe in Idlib”. Four international aid groups working in Idlib warned that failure to implement the deal could trigger renewed violence and mass displacement. Local partner organisations and “civilians receiving aid have expressed fears that violence could spiral out of control in the next few days if either the deal collapses or fighting escalates in areas not covered by it,” they said.

ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!

MORE FROM Region

  • MENA


    Regime ally Moscow and rebel backer Ankara agreed last month to set… READ MORE

  • Economy


    Combined current account surplus of 10 Mena oil exporters to rise by… READ MORE

  • Saudi Arabia


    Two daily services are initially planned in each direction. READ MORE

  • MENA


    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vowed an aggressive push to counter… READ MORE





Source link

0
fb-share-icon100
200
fb-share-icon19

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*